Creative App Development Course Overview
Apps are no longer simply constrained to our phones, instead they cross creative boundaries and enhance our lives in new ways. They are increasingly embedded in aspects of the everyday, changing the ways we interact with our environment, engage with our hobbies, work and play. Such diversity widens the potential for app development to include creatives from all walks of life. This course will allow you to:
- Experiment with applying your creative and artistic skills within an app development context
- Learn new techniques and skills in a supportive environment made up of a community of makers, creatives and artists
- Develop confidence with technology while realising your creative and artistic aspirations.
Discover what our students think about the Creative App Development course and see some of their work:
This course offers you the flexibility to pursue creative endeavours in your own area of interest and the opportunity to create apps for a range of areas smartphones, games, VR, tablets, desktops, physical art installations, etc.
Designed by people with expertise in interaction design and the application of creative technology, the course is structured to accommodate your working life. Throughout the course you will develop your own ideas, from concept to delivery. Along the way, you will be given a mentor who will support you on your journey throughout the course helping you to become an imaginative designer/developer.
With our emphasis on the diversity that contemporary app design offers, we welcome people from a range of backgrounds and disciplines, including:
Artists, audio specialists, designers, illustrators, interaction designers, makers, graphic designers, gamers, game designers, product designers, technologists, coders, audio specialists, sonic artists, roboticists, digital builders, modders, fine artists, advertisers, digital crafters, cosplayers, LARPers, textile artists and those interested in technology focused creative practice.
Award Title: MA Creative App Development
(also available to study to PGDip level)
Awarding Body: Falmouth University
Duration: MA 2 years; PGDip 14 months
Mode of study: online, part-time
- Build your skills by devising creative apps both in solo and co-creative contexts
- Join our international community of professionals, researchers, artists and creatives
- Keep and control the IP of your work
On-demand video with the Course Coordinator
Watch Al Parker, Course Coordinator for the MA in Creative App Development, in our on-demand video as he discusses how this masters degree can help you excel in your career.
Previous graduates of the MA in Creative App Development have gone on to:
- Work as a software tester for Facebook
- Work in front end development after switching from a career as a designer
- Receive Y Combinator seed accelerator funding
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to bring their creative and artistic skills, and aspirations to app development. We will support you in realising your creative ideas and help you to build the skills to create your app. Informed by critical thinking and research, our approach will help you take your ideas from conception to realisation and deliver creative, engaging apps.
Typical applicants may be:
- Artists, audio specialists, designers, illustrators, interaction designers, makers, graphic designers, gamers, game designers, product designers, technologists, coders, audio specialists, sonic artists, roboticists, digital builders, modders, fine artists, advertisers, digital crafters, cosplayers, LARPers, textile artists and those interested in technology focused creative practice
- Looking to explore new possibilites to incorporate technology into your existing creative practice
- Someone who has an idea of an app they wish to create
The course enables you to respond creatively to change and has been designed to support a wide range of aspirations within the field of app development and beyond.
You will need to complete four 30-credit modules and one 60-credit project (180 credits in total). All modules on the course are compulsory and must be passed in order to complete the award.
You will need to complete four 30-credit modules (120 credits in total). All modules on the course are compulsory and must be passed in order to complete the award. A dissertation (major project) is not required.
|App development synergies
|Individual design and development project
|Co-creation design and development project
|Live brief design and development project
|Major project (MA only)
Coursework assessment with no formal examinations
Portfolios, projects and live online presentations
Assessments are designed to support creative and professional practice
How you study
You may choose to:
- Study entirely online.
- Study online and attend optional face to face events.
You will be given the opportunity to attend up to two events per academic year and dates and location of the events will vary. Events usually incorporate a weekend to accommodate busy schedules. More information is available on the face to face events page.
Taught by industry experts
Designed with employer-focused learning at the core, our courses work with global organisations, staff and alumni to provide you with the breadth of experience and networks needed to accelerate your career.
Learn more about our MA Creative App Development tutors.
There will be guided learning activities consisting of:
- Concise online presentations to introduce key concepts
- Small group and class discussions and crits to facilitate interaction and dialogue
- Online critiques to test assumptions, ideas and to receive feedback from peers and tutors
- Individual and group tutorials throughout the course
- Independent study
- Self-evaluation and peer feedback
As Falmouth student, you enjoy an equal status to students studying on campus:
- Your own student ID card
- Access to online software tutorials at lynda.com
- 24/7 online access to library resources
- Students’ Union community
- Access to our Student Support Services offering academic and personal support
- An honours degree or Level 6 equivalent qualification
- Proof of proficiency in English (minimum overall score of IELTS 6.5 with at least 6.0 in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening or TOEFL IBT (Internet Based Test) with a minimum socre of 88 overall and at least 21 in all 4 components).
We also accept a range of equivalent recognised English language qualifications. Candidates without a degree or formal qualification are still encouraged to apply. For more information regarding equivalent international qualifications and Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) please call us on +44 (0)1223 447713 or view our handy guide:
How to apply
- Submit an online application form.
- Submit a copy of your first degree certificate or Level 6 equivalent qualification and your IELTS/TOEFL certificate if English is not your first language
Late applications may be considered if places are available.
Please contact us for FREE advice.
Call +44 (0)1223 447713
Start dates and application deadlines
||Course start date
||15 September 2019
||16 September 2019
||23 September 2019
||13 January 2020
||20 January 2020
||27 January 2020
News and Events
View our latest news and upcoming events here.