Attitude is Everything Disability Equality for the Live Event Industry Training
This in depth two week course is designed to equip you with the understanding and practical skills needed to meet Deaf and disabled customers’ access requirements at your events. It will enable you to understand why access matters and deliver a high quality customer service.
Attitude is Everything are a charity with almost twenty years’ experience of working with audiences, artists and the music and events industries to make live events more accessible for Deaf and disabled people. Their professional expertise is reinforced by a rolling programme of research and the continual feedback of hundreds of Deaf and disabled mystery shoppers, who report back on their experiences accessing venues and events across the UK.
Our Charter of Best Practice is recognised by the UK Live Music group as the industry standard for live music accessibility. The Charter translates UK legislation such as the Equality Act 2010, and our feedback from Deaf and disabled customers of their experiences at live events, into accessible good practice guidance. Over 180 venues and festivals are signed up to the Charter to date, from the O2 Arena, Glastonbury and the Southbank Centre to grassroots venues and boutique festivals.
Attitude is Everything have delivered consultancy and training to venues and festivals of all scales, theatres, race courses, exhibition providers, galleries, museums, local authorities, government agencies, security companies, football clubs, major events such as the 2012 London Olympics and HM Government of Gibraltar.
Award: Title: Certificate of completion from Falmouth University, accredited by Attitude is Everything
Awarding Body: Falmouth University
Mode of study: online, part-time
Duration: Two weeks
Who is this course for?
This training course is suitable for anyone working in the live music and events industry and who wants to learn more about inclusivity for Deaf and disabled people.
You may be:
- An event organiser or producer
- An academic or policy-maker
- Studying Events Management
- Working in a government, local authority or corporate events team
- Involved in venue management
- Working in events-related businesses such as event suppliers
The course content will enable you to consider operational and legal aspects of inclusivity and unpack good practice and innnovation.
Topics covered include:
- Why does access matter?
- Barriers to access
- What the Equality Act means for you
- Making events accessible
- The social model of disability
- Language and terminology
- Accessible communication and communicating access
- The value of lived experience
Assessment is by multiple choice submitted at the end of the course.
You will need to engage with and complete the full two week course and pass the assessment at the end in order to receive a certifcate of completion.
How you study
Study is entirely online with learning supported by the use of real event case-studies.
It's estimated that you will need to put aside around four hours a week for attending the webinar, reviewing learning materials and completing activities.
Taught by industry experts
This course is developed by Attitude is Everything and delivered by Falmouth University and Attitude is Everything staff.
There will be guided learning activities consisting of:
- Concise online presentations to introduce key concepts
- Small group and class discussions to facilitate interaction and dialogue
- Online critiques to test assumptions, ideas and to receive feedback from peers and tutors
- Individual and group tutorials throughout the course
- Independent study
- Self-evaluation and peer feedback
You will have access to an online tutor to guide you through the content and 24/7 access of the online learning environment and its support service.
- A strong interest in, or experience of, managing events
- Proficiency in English - reading, writing, speaking and listening in order to be comfortable studying at Masters level
- An undergraduate degree is desirable but not essential
For more information regarding entry requirements please call us on +44 (0)1223 447713.
Fees and payment
Total course fee is £495.
You will be required to pay in full once you have received your offer letter and this will contain full instructions on how to make the payment.
Next start date to be confirmed.
Places are limited so we recommend you apply as soon as possible.
Apply online here.
Please contact us if you need any advice on completing the form.
Call +44 (0)1223 447713
News and events
View our latest news and upcoming events here.
Terms & conditions