Creative App Development Course Overview
The course explores and combines three main areas within application development, creativity, computing and commerce.
- Creativity – You will be empowered to leverage technology to be creative; for the idea; for the solution to a problem; for the user experience design and for the management of outputs
- Computing – the ability to develop applications within the evolving technologies available
- Commercial – addressing how we monetise ideas and grasp market opportunities
As a platform agnostic course you will consider solutions to everyday problems and be creative in their design and development whilst always keeping an eye on the relationship between the user and product. Not being confined to one medium, you will have the flexibility and opportunities of creating applications for smartphones, games, VR, tablets, desktops, physical computing, art installation etc.
Designed with industry experts, the course is structured according to workplace demands, you’ll find an emphasis on live briefs and the application of practical skills. Whilst you will develop and write code the course does not focus on the technology itself but takes a more artistic approach to software. It centres on having a creative output that has taken advantage of the technological opportunities available.
You will gain expertise in developing apps and learn how to bring your ideas to life through both solo and co-creative working environments. You will be able to draw on the skills of your peers who may be, for example, artists, designers, photographers, multimedia specialists, illustrators or other specialists.
Modules are taught by specialists in creative computing, interactive and design practice; while online software tutorials will enable you to develop projects and assemble your professional portfolio ahead of graduation.
Award Title: MA Creative App Development
(also available to study to PGDip level)
Awarding Body: Falmouth University
Duration: MA 2 years; PGDip 14 months
Mode of study: online, part-time
- Build your skills by devising creative apps both in solo and co-creative contexts
- Be taught by specialists in creative computing, interactive and design practice
- Join our international community of professionals, researchers and creatives
- Keep and control the IP of your work
Who is this course for?
This course prepares you for the demands of app development, whether you want to break into the industry, or already work in the software sector. Here we promote creative solutions to meet a range of platform and audience needs. Informed by critical thinking and research, our approach helps deliver high impact apps.
Typical applicants may be:
- Artists, audio specialists and designers interested in technology focused creative practice
- Working in computing and software development and looking to explore new possibilities to actually create things
- Someone who has an idea of an app they wish to create
The course enables you to respond creatively to change and has been designed to support a wide range of career aspirations within the field of app development and beyond.
You will need to complete four 30-credit modules and one 60-credit project (180 credits in total). All modules on the course are compulsory and must be passed in order to complete the award.
You will need to complete four 30-credit modules (120 credits in total). All modules on the course are compulsory and must be passed in order to complete the award. A dissertation (major project) is not required.
|App development synergies
|Individual design and development project
|Co-creation design and development project
|Live brief design and development project
|Major project (MA only)
Coursework assessment with no formal examinations
Portfolios, projects and live online presentations
Assessments are designed to support creative and professional practice
How you study
You may choose to:
- Study entirely online.
- Study online and attend optional face to face events.
You will be given the opportunity to attend up to two events per academic year and dates and location of the events will vary. Events usually incorporate a weekend to accommodate busy schedules. More information is available on the face to face events page.
Taught by industry experts
Designed with employer-focused learning at the core, our courses work with global organisations, staff and alumni to provide you with the breadth of experience and networks needed to accelerate your career.
Learn more about our MA Creative App Development tutors.
There will be guided learning activities consisting of:
- Concise online presentations to introduce key concepts
- Small group and class discussions and crits to facilitate interaction and dialogue
- Online critiques to test assumptions, ideas and to receive feedback from peers and tutors
- Individual and group tutorials throughout the course
- Independent study
- Self-evaluation and peer feedback
As Falmouth student, you enjoy an equal status to students studying on campus:
- Your own student ID card
- Access to online software tutorials at lynda.com
- 24/7 online access to library resources
- Students’ Union community
- Access to our Student Support Services offering academic and personal support
- An honours degree or Level 6 equivalent qualification
- Proof of proficiency in English (minimum overall score of IELTS 6.5 with at least 6.0 in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening)
We also accept a range of equivalent recognised English language qualifications. Candidates without a degree or formal qualification are still encouraged to apply. For more information regarding equivalent international qualifications and Accreditation of Prior Learning please call us on +44 (0)1223 447713.
Financing your studies
You can take advantage of:
- Early bird discounts
- Falmouth Flexible Bursaries
- Alumni discount (15% to Falmouth alumni)
- Refer a friend rewards
For more information about these bursaries and other opportunities for financial assistance, please click here or call us on +44 (0)1223 447713
Terms and conditions apply
How to apply
- Submit an online application form for the MA or PGDip
- Submit a copy of your first degree certificate or Level 6 equivalent qualification and your IELTS/TOEFL certificate if English is not your first language
Late applications may be considered if places are available.
Please contact us for FREE advice.
Call 0800 5999123 or +44 (0)1223 447713
Start dates and application deadlines
There are three start dates per year.
|2017/18 Academic Year
||Course start date
||27 May 2018
||28 May 2018
||4 June 2018
|2018/19 Academic Year
||Course start date
||16 September 2018
||17 September 2018
||24 September 2018
||20 January 2019
||21 January 2019
||28 January 2019
News and Events
View our latest news and upcoming events here.